Coach Chot Reyes, who’s in Hong Kong right now with the Smart Gilas Pilipinas Squad, commented on Japeth Aguilar’s strong desire to be traded.
Coach Chot’s words are father-like. He was really passionate and concerned with regard to Japeth’s decision to be traded.
Coach Chot asked some meaningful questions to Japeth. For me, those are self-realizing questions.
In the end, he challenged Japeth to come home and make his name in the Philippines.
“Fatherly advice to @japethaguilar35: I read an article bout u @SPIN.ph. Dunno if these are ur thoughts but fr a 20-yr vet in this industry:
1. It's not good to publicly demand to be traded, esp due to playing time, ESP when ur team just won d title. This smacks of selfishness
2. If u really want to play, why go to NBA/NBDL? U think u can play a lot there? U played 20mins/g in ur last AllFil stint.This not enough
3.Son,playing time is EARNED,not demanded/expected.Wanna play at crunchtime?Work SOHARD ur coach cnt afford 2 sit u. If he does,work anyway!
4. U are d most physically gifted Pinoy baller EVER. But why dint u play at WKentucky? At Gilas? In NBDL? It's d coaches fault?Think bout it
5. I have nothing to gain whatever u decide cept I want whats best 4 u.Come home son.Make ur name here.THIS is where u belong #pinoypride
6. 6. So cmon, play 8 or 48 mins, get ur ass kicked, dunk on somebody - but do it HERE. And know whatever happens, I will be behind u always.”
Japeth might want to heed the advice of Coach Chot. After all, fathers know best!